Employer: The Ohio Lottery Commission (OLC)
Position: Chief Fiscal Officer Employment Opportunity
Salary: $120,000-$135,000 Annually
The Ohio Lottery Commission (OLC) is a state agency created to generate revenue for public education in Ohio through the Lottery Profits Education Fund (LPEF). The OLC’s mission is supporting education by offering entertaining gaming experiences. The OLC’s vision is investing in Ohio’s students and communities through gaming innovation.
Since inception in 1974, the OLC has provided approximately $29 Billion to public education in Ohio. In FY 2022, the OLC reached sales of approximately $5.6 Billion and transferred approximately $1.405 Billion in profits to the LPEF. For detailed financial information, CLICK HERE to view the Annual Comprehensive Financial Report. The OLC is comprised of approximately 375 employees. The retailer base consists of more than 9,800 retailers selling Lottery products. The OLC partners with seven racinos in Ohio to offer exciting gaming experiences via Video Lottery Terminals. The OLC also collaborates with Sports Gaming Hosts and Proprietors for Sports Gaming.
Position Summary and Objective
The Chief Fiscal Officer (CFO) will report to the Executive Leadership team and will lead, manage, and oversee the entire Office of Finance. The Office of Finance is comprised of the Agent Receivables, Procurement, Claims, General Accounting, Finance Management, and Contract Compliance functions. The CFO will work with the Executive Leadership team to align fiscal strategy with the agency’s mission and goals.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
The CFO will:
- Ensure player/customer satisfaction.
- Direct and oversee all fiscal operations, financial activity, and financial reporting for the OLC.
- Oversee transfers to the Lottery Profits Education Fund.
- Effectively oversee the agency budget, Annual Comprehensive Financial Report, and financial statements.
- Monitor the financial performance and financial impact of agency programs and initiatives.
- Participate in agency strategic planning, establish goals and objectives for the Office of Finance, and monitor progress.
- Develop new fiscal programs, projects, and initiatives to meet evolving business needs.
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management to coordinate finance operations and activities.
- Motivate, lead, mentor, and evaluate the Finance management team.
- Develop and implement Finance policies and procedures.
- Provide advice to the Executive Leadership team and keep the Executive Leadership team informed of critical issues.
- Stay current with lottery and gaming industry trends and changes in legislation.
- Analyze current and future trends and needs to accurately assess the agency’s fiscal strengths and vulnerabilities.
- Support and be a champion for change within the agency.
- Connect with employees and foster an inclusive, innovative, and engaging work environment.
- Effectively communicate plans, goals, and objectives throughout the Office of Finance.
- Participate in Commission Meetings.
- Professionally represent the agency externally with vendors, other State of Ohio agencies, business partners, other state lotteries, and lottery and gaming industry organizations.
Competency and Skill Profile
The CFO will possess competencies and skills in:
- Financial management
- Data and financial analysis
- Financial control
- Contract compliance
- Project management
- Customer focus
- Effective communication
- Strategic thinking
- Decision making
- Integrity and honesty
- Problem solving
- Collaboration and relationship building
- Inspire, motivate, and develop others
- Drive for results
- Champion change
Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or other related field of study. Experience equivalency may be considered in place of a Bachelor’s degree.
Master’s degree in Finance, Accounting, or other related field of study.
- 10 years of experience in managing a complex Finance Department comprised of multiple sub-departments and functions
- Broad fiscal background with experience in several financial areas such as accounting, procurement, accounts payable and receivable, budgeting, contract compliance, and financial analysis
- Demonstrated success in delivering large, complicated financial projects
- Experience in financial and data analysis
- Experience in strategic planning
- Required Experience listed above plus previous experience in the lottery or gaming industry.
- Required Experience listed above plus previous experience in state government at mid or senior management levels.
State of Ohio Total Rewards-Compensation and Benefits
Comprehensive salary and employee benefits package including: Ohio Public Employees Retirement System, Ohio Deferred Compensation, medical/dental/vision benefits, basic and supplemental life insurance, flexible spending accounts, employee development funds, paid holidays, vacation/sick/personal leaves, and a health and wellness program. CLICK HERE to visit the State of Ohio Total Rewards website.
Compensation: $120,000-$135,000 per year
The majority of travel will be within the State of Ohio. There will be other occasional travel outside of Ohio.
How to Apply
Interested candidates must apply online on the State of Ohio Careers website by CLICKING HERE and must attach their resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to their online employment application.
The Ohio Lottery Commission does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender identity or expression, mental or physical disability, genetic information, veteran status and/or military status in employment or the provision of services.