Governor Larry Hogan announced that Maryland’s mobile sports wagering market will open at 9 a.m. on Wednesday, November 23. The Governor and Maryland Lottery and Gaming Director John Martin discussed the impending launch during a press conference this morning at the Maryland State House in Annapolis.
Seven mobile sportsbooks are expected to be active for the initial launch date on Wednesday:
- Barstool Sportsbook (operator for PENN Maryland/Hollywood Casino)
- BetMGM (operator for BetMGM Maryland Sports/MGM National Harbor)
- BetRivers (operator for Arundel Amusements/Bingo World in Brooklyn Park)
- Caesars Sportsbook (operator for CZR Maryland Mobile Opportunity/Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore)
- DraftKings (operator for Crown MD Online Gaming)
- FanDuel (operator for PPE Maryland Mobile/Live! Casino and Hotel in Hanover)
- PointsBet (operator for Riverboat on the Potomac in Charles County)
Another three mobile sportsbooks have been awarded licenses, but they informed Maryland Lottery and Gaming that they would not be prepared to launch this week:
- Betfred (operator for Long Shot’s in Frederick)
- BetParx (operator for Greenmount Station in Hampstead)
- Fanatics (operator for Maryland Stadium Sub/Washington Commanders in Landover)
Maryland Lottery and Gaming staff are working closely with all three to guide them through the operational requirements they must complete before being given clearance to launch. The timing of their launches has not been determined.
Sports wagering revenue figures for the month of November will be released on Monday, December 12, and will include data on the performance of both mobile and retail sportsbooks. Revenue data will not be available prior to that date.
The Sports Wagering Application Review Commission (SWARC) received 21 applications for mobile sports wagering licenses, and Maryland Lottery and Gaming is in the process of conducting background investigations of the remaining 11 applicants. An applicant must be found qualified via Maryland Lottery and Gaming background investigation before SWARC can award a license. Applicants’ names are not disclosed until Maryland Lottery and Gaming completes their background investigations and schedules their qualification hearings.
About Maryland Lottery and Gaming
Maryland Lottery and Gaming operates the Maryland Lottery and is responsible for regulatory oversight of the state’s casinos and sports wagering program. To keep Marylanders informed and promote integrity and transparency, Maryland Lottery and Gaming posts monthly financial reports on casino and sports wagering revenue at mdgaming.com, along with annual fiscal year data. For more information on all Lottery products, promotions and news, visit mdlottery.com. Maryland Lottery and Gaming reminds players to play responsibly and within their budget; resources are available at mdgamblinghelp.org or by calling 1-800-GAMBLER.